- 0.75 c Shortening part margarine
- 1.00 c Brown Sugar
- 1.75 c Flour
- 1.50 ts Soda
- 1.00 ts Salt
- 1.50 c Oatmeal
- DATE FILLING: Mix 3 cups cut up dates, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 1/2 cups water in saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Prepare date filling, let cool.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix shortening and sugar thoroughly. Stir flour, salt and soda together; blend in.
- Mix in oatmeal.
- Press and flatten half of mixture over bottom of greased 13x9x2 inch pan.
- Spread with cooled filling. Top with remaining crumb mixture, patting lightly.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
While warm cut into bars and remove from pan.